Friday, June 5, 2009

More Convention Memories


Hello my fellow bloggers, greetings from the world of the bizarre! It's time for another one of my monster sci-fi convention memories. Back in 1997 I attended "The Dark Shadows Festival" at the Vista Hotel at the World Trade Center in Lower Manhattan; it had recently been reopened after the terrorist bombing in 1993. While checking out the convention vendor's tables , I had the distinct pleasure of running into John Russo, author of the screenplay and subsequent novelization of 'Night of the Living Dead" (1968). He published the novel, which I purchased when it debuted in 1974. We had a two hour conversation which proved to be the highlight of all of my convention experiences. I asked him what was going on in the NOTLD franchise, and he told me that a 30th anniversary edition of the film was due to be released the following year. It would be a newly remastered version of the film with a brand new prologue and instrumental background track. I told him that I had gotten his novel when it was released back in 1974, and still have it today as part of my horror memorabilia collection. He was visibly flattered by my remark, which I found refreshing.


Being from the Pittsburgh area, he was a big Steeler fan just like me. We spent the good part of two hours talking sports! HOW IRONIC! When we ended our discussion, he asked me if I would like to have his convention ID badge. I was quite honored and accepted it graciously. That item too, is part of my collection of horror memories! Some years later, while at a Chiller Theater show in New Jersey at The Meadowlands Sheraton, I would have an encounter that was related to that day in Manhattan back in 1997.


While lurking about in the celebrity tent setup outside in the parking area, I came across a familiar face behind one of the vending tables. It was Judith O'Dea, the actress who played Johnny's sister in the original film. "you're Barbara, from NOTLD!", and she replied, "thats me. how are you today?" After exchanging niceties, I brought up the conversation I had with John Russo back in 1997. She looked at me with an expression of disgust, and replied, "oh really? that bastard owes me money!" I laughed in an uncomfortable manner. I had an inkling as to what she was referring to. Some twenty-five years ago or so, George Romero, the original director of NOTLD failed to renew the copyrights to the film. This in turn caused it to go into public domain. That is why everyone and their mother was putting it out on VHS back in the mid 1980s. I can safely assume that this cost everyone involved with the film any residuals it has earned since then. Oh the trials and tribulations of the entertainment business! Looking back now, I wonder if she was being harrassed by her creditors. "THEY'RE COMING TO GET YOU BARBARAAAAAA!" Until our next encounter, HAVE A BLOODY GOOD DAY!

1 comment:

  1. that was an interesting story...how come your work buddies arent reading your blogs???

    ReplyDelete