Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Monster Magazines


Welcome once again, fellow horror fiends, to another trip down memory lane. Remember when you were a kid, and couldn't wait to take that trip to the local candy store? After picking up some Bazooka Joe or Canada Mints you would head over to the magazine racks to check out the latest comic book. And then it happened! Your first encounter with a magazine called "Famous Monsters of Filmland." Or maybe it was "Castle of Frankenstein." These publications were very popular in the 60's and 70's. I remember buying my first issue of FMOF on my way to school one morning in February of 1973. It was issue # 96 and it featured a split cover of The Werewolf and Mr. Hyde! I was enthralled, devouring it from cover to cover. I STILL HAVE IT, and many issues that followed.

Over the years there would be others to captivate me. In 1982 I bought my first issue of Fangoria. That year FMOF went under, and I needed a new fix! Although I wasn't a kid anymore, I was hooked for life. Issue # 18 featured a creepy Malcom McDowell on its cover. It was a scene from " The Cat People", a remake of the 1942 classic. As the years went by, I would
purchase back issues at horror conventions and comic book shows, to try and complete my collections, but it proved to be too costly an endeavor. What was so different about Fangoria was its pages! They were in color which was a new concept that FMOF never had, and featured mostly newer films such as the "SLASHER" films that were popular at the time.

Here is where one of my chilhood memories come into play. Back in 1973, "Famous Monsters of Filmland" inspired me to create my own monster magazine, which i called "The Monster Log." I would write the features which included movie reviews, a movie " mystery" photo, and features on horror actors film careers. I also did all the artwork freehand. When I had completed an issue , my father would take it to his office the next day, and photocopy about ten issues. I couldn't wait for him to come home the next night so i could put them together! Then I would take them to school the next day and sell them to my friends for 25 cents each. I didn't make much money, but it was fun just to have "my own" magazine! I remember my 7th grade math teacher commented on how creative it was!

Just another sweet chilhood memory of mine! Do you have any like these? Let me know. Till we meet again, HAVE A BLOODY GOOD DAY!

2 comments:

  1. would love to see it. cant believe in all of these years i havent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you haven't checked out RUE MORGUE (the magazine) check it out. It is currently the best horror mag out there. I like it a lot better than FANGORIA. I collected FANGORIA from its first issue back in 1979 til about 1986. Now I'll buy an issue sporadically. I loved FAMOUS MONSTERS and CREEPY and EERIE as well. I was devastated when Warren pub. went under!

    ReplyDelete