Friday, May 29, 2009

Horror Convention


Hey fellow fear fans, it's time for another foray into the world of horror! So many things to talk about, and so little time. On Wednesday, we reminisced about what horror movies scared us as a child. We also touched on what ones affected us as an adult. Ah memory lane! Thats what is so great about life; no matter how bad things get, and let's face it, I cant remember things being this bad; we can always escape just by going back to those times when life was so much simpler and remember what made our childhood so great .


So today we are going to discuss another kind of memory . Anyone who has ever attended a horror-sci-fi convention knows that you never know who you might run into. I"m talking in terms of celebrity guest stars. One of the most popular of these conventions is the CHILLER THEATRE shows that come to New Jersey twice a year, every May and October (Halloween weekend). Outside of the hotel they usually have a big tent set up where all the celebrities are gathered behind tables where they sell their memorabilia. (shows are usually in The Meadowlands or Parsippany) Some guests are announced and some are not. One celebrity encounter that sticks in my mind the most was with actor Kevin McCarthy. He is a venerable character actor from the 50's through the 90,s, most notable for his starring role in the sci-fi classic " Invasion of the Body Snatchers"(1956) When I noticed he was selling a photo of him and co-star Dana Wynter I asked him, "how much for the photo?" He told me $20. I said "I'll take it!" As I started to reach towards him with the monery he grabbed the bill from my hand, and said "I'll take that!" He saw how taken aback I was , and proceeded to flash a wry grin at me. "Invasion of the MONEY SNATCHER'S " was more like it I'd say! Later that evening I spotted him roaming the bar area with drink in tow, visibly tipsy. Right then I knew where my $20 dollars went! I'll share more of these moments in the coming weeks. Until then, Have a bloody good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment